14 June 2008

go round

green tea sweets and PIF


Mary Jane picked my name for the handworkers' "exchange" called Pay It Forward. So here's the deal for those of you who have a blog and want in:

"I will send a handmade gift to the first 3 people who leave a comment on my blog requesting to join this PIF exchange. I don’t know what that gift will be yet and you may not receive it tomorrow or next week, but you will receive it within 365 days, that is my promise! The only thing you have to do in return is pay it forward by making the same promise on your blog."

And here's how Benjamin Franklin put it in a letter enclosed with some money for his friend Benjamin Webb:

"I do not pretend to give such a Sum; I only lend it to you. When you [...] meet with another honest Man in similar Distress, you must pay me by lending this Sum to him; enjoining him to discharge the Debt by a like operation, when he shall be able, and shall meet with another opportunity. I hope it may thus go thro' many hands, before it meets with a Knave that will stop its Progress. This is a trick of mine for doing a deal of good with a little money."

I'm setting up an indigo vat on Wednesday, so I know your gift will probably be blue and that you're likely to get it pretty soon after it dries. I might be a Rapscallion, but I am no Knave.

Thanks to Mariko for posting the green tea sweets recipe link and to Maido! for being a local supplier of matcha and Meiji Almonds.

P.S. A gift will go out to a fourth commenter (whether or not you have a blog) who can guess why I chose to post at the time shown below. Hint: The PM doesn't matter.

Comments:
Whee doggie!
Denise
 
Oh, and is the 1:17 a cryptic having to do with Bastille Day being on this date in 1789?
Hmmmmm?????
 
Aha! I'm in!
 
You're thinking the right century, Denise, but no cigar! xo, c.
 
I made those cookies last week, and thought they were delicious.
 
*scrambles to find historical event on a January 17. gives up as is too obscure and time-wasting.* wishing you well!
 
because that's the date you might worry about a birthday gift for me if you hadn't already bought one.
t.
 
Yes, it is a birthday! Whose?
 
Benjamin Franklin's?
 
Karen, you rock and you're not even American!!! (not that non-Americans don't rock, but they can't be expected to know the birthdates of Founding Fathers). I'll email you at Cornflower to get your info.
 
I knew the reference to 1/17 right away since that is my birthday(and oh yeah, Benjamin Franklin's!). Thanks for making the recipe.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?